Quiet Time #9 - You Can Do It


"I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:13 ESV

Philippians Chapter 4 is recommended reading for both new and veteran (battle-tested and battle-weary) believers.

Verse 13 is both well known and well used, and has been a battle cry used by well known preachers and famous professional athletes and celebrities. 

For Context

Now Paul wrote this verse to be read along with verses 11 to 14. For context, let us read them (in the NIV):

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles."


Encouragement

This forms part of a whole chapter which is a message of thanks to the Philippian believers who have helped Paul in his time of need, plus it is also a letter of rejoicing, appreciation, joy, faith building and yes, encouragement.

Reality

In our fallen world, every believer will go through trials, and Paul who was locked up in prison when he wrote this letter was exhorting believers to help one another out, but is also reminding them that even if there was no one to help them, the Lord Himself will help them in their time of need and suffering -- exhorting believers to keep the faith in all situations. 

Holy Spirit

Our Lord is more than able, and willing, and just, and loving. Indeed, with God, all things are possible and so with Him, we can (also) do all things. His Spirit is Our constant Companion, Guide, Comforter and Helper.  With Him, we can do all things. Apart from Him we can do nothing.



Comments